Help / FAQ
- How do I use this extension?
- This extension is not working
Please try restarting your browser and follow the troubleshooting steps below depending on your case. If that doesn't work please contact us and we will work to fix any problems. Email clients will over time release updates that can prevent this extension from working so contacting us will help ensure a fix.
- Other browser extensions and plugins can conflict
Other extensions, mainly Gmail or web mail extensions / plugins (especially other email tracking extensions) may conflict with the extension. If the extension is not working then try disabling all other extensions, refresh the web mail page, and try sending a test tracked email. If the cause was another extension, let us know the extension that conflicted and we'll look into adding compatibility.
- The Email Tracker Icon is not showing up in my extension bar (top right of browser)
Click the menu button (top right of browser below close button) and see if you can find the email tracker icon in there. If not go to the manage extensions page and make sure Email Tracker is enabled. If it is not then enable it.
- Tracking is not showing up for my sent emails
Make sure you wait a couple seconds after you send a message before you close the tab / window or navigate somewhere else so it fully loads the tracking. Also make sure the tracking icon shows up in the address bar and it is enabled. If this doesn't work try the following steps below:
- Disable all other extensions and restart the entire browser (make sure no Chrome windows are open during restart). Another extension may be conflicting. If you find an extension conflicting you can contact us and we will try and make our extension compatible with theirs.
- Make sure HTML emails are enabled, plain text emails will not track.
- If none of these steps work you can contact us and let us know of any error messages and the email client that is not working and we will fix it as soon as possible.
- Sent e-mails are never read
No email tracker is ever 100% perfect. If you open your own email with email tracker it will not become read, to test the extension send to another email account. Email tracking is done through an image tracking pixel. If the recipients email client blocks images the tracking will not be able to detect if the recipient opened the email. Images are not blocked by default in all email clients unless your email lands in their spam folder, is marked as suspicious, the recipient manually blocks all images, or the recipient does not have HTML emails enabled. For image blocks you would have to persuade the person to click "show images" by including an image they would want to see. Afterwards your email is normally white-listed and further emails will not have images blocked by default. For Email Tracker Pro it will automatically track users who click on links as well even if the images are blocked.
- Email Tracker loads forever
Refreshing the page should solve the problem, if not please contact us below.
- Other browser extensions and plugins can conflict
- Email Tracker does not work for previously sent emails
Emails are only tracked when sent with Email Tracker enabled. A tracking beacon will be inserted which triggers when the email is opened. Any emails sent without Email Tracker enabled on the device and supported for your email client will not be tracked.
- Loading overlay / popup shows up when sending emails
This is normal as the email tracker loads when you send your email. This should only take a second or so. Contact us below if it is taking longer then a couple seconds. You can press cancel anytime during loading to cancel email tracker loading and continue sending your email.
- False positives (reading your own sent email)
If you open your sent email on another computer, tablet, or phone without the extension installed then it may trigger a false read. Avoid viewing sent email on other devices if you do not want to trigger false positives. Email Tracker Pro users can see false positives and reset the tracking.
- What email information do we store and how do we ensure your privacy
We do not ever store or transfer your email contents. No recipients, subjects, content, or anything else. Every email is given a generated ID and that is all that is ever stored. This not only ensures your privacy but it helps keep the service free by keeping our bandwidth and storage costs at a minimum.
- Duplicate Views
It may frequently show 2 views for emails with replies as the pixel gets reloaded on some email clients when a person clicks on reply. For Pro users this information can be used to tell you how long it took to read the email and how long it took the recipient to write the reply when comparing the corresponding time.
- Will the recipient know that I am tracking
Most recipients will not know as the tracking beacon is hidden. It is only possible to find out if they look through the source code or have specific tools to detect tracking beacons.
- Does the tracking beacon track opens from all email clients?
It will be able to track all email clients as long as they have HTML email enabled which is normally enabled by default.
- How do I enable HTML emails if I am getting the error "Sent Email Untracked - HTML Emails must be Enabled"
Please follow the following screenshot to disable plain text mode in Gmail to get HTML emails again - https://emailtracker.website/static/main/images/help/gmail_disable_plain_text_mode.png
- Support Contact (issues, feedback, and suggestions)
You can contact us at this link and we will get to it as soon as we can